A love letter to my husband…

So, today was a crappy day.  Or, it could have been were it not for M.  I started feeling sick yesterday in the afternoon when we were out with the kids but chalked it up to exhaustion or the heat.  I still felt unwell once dinner rolled around so I didn’t eat much but I rallied to go out for a few hours for a friend’s birthday last night.  By the end of the night I felt awful and by the time I was home I was running to the bathroom in case I needed to upchuck.  If this is too much information, this is not the blog for you!  I didn’t puke, but spent a few minutes prone on the bathroom floor trying to stop my stomach from turning.  I managed to sleep fitfully through the night and when I woke up I didn’t feel any better.  M was already up with the kids as it was his turn to get up early and I sent him a text saying that he might have to be on his own for a bit longer as I wasn’t feeling up to participating in any parenting duties.  He didn’t mind and the giggles and shouts from the backyard that I could hear from my bedroom window indicated that things were running smoothly and that kids were happy.  I spent the next few hours napping, staying horizontal so my stomach could maintain its fragile equilibrium, and finishing the 50 Shades trilogy (!).  By the time I got out of bed and joined the crew M had fed, entertained, cleaned up after and gotten bottles and drinks for both kids.  All was well and K was napping.  Over the course of the rest of the day M proceeded to get lunches, clean the kitchen, do potty breaks, get snacks and encouraged me to rest.  In the late afternoon I managed to rouse myself enough to make a grocery list and we all went to the store together.  By the time we got home I was feeling yucky again so M unloaded the groceries and made dinner.  He also tried to act as a toddler buffer to keep R from ‘mom, mom, mom’-ing me to death as I tried not to puke on our couch.  I managed to help feed a kid and get one bath done, but by that time I was out for the count.  M took it from there and did the rest of the evening’s duties and now all is quiet and I still feel like crap. 

Or do I?  I actually feel rather elated having gone through the day watching my husband take the reins and let me rest.  My favourite part of the day was sitting outside watching him wander around with K as I looked on.  He was holding her up to touch tree leaves, running her hands over soft and prickly plants to let her feel the textures and watered the plants with her in his arms.  She was in fits of giggles as he threw her up in the air and was at other times oohing and aahing as she noticed butterflies, lights and shadows.  She got rather interested in the hose at one point and was also able to practice her new walking skills in the grass.  It was a beautiful sight to behold.  So, on what could have been a crappy and exhausting day, I actually feel rather rested and happy.  I feel secure in the knowledge that my husband is just as capable as I am in running this ship and I guess I should really let him take the reins on a more regular basis.  Let’s be clear now – he does a crap load of stuff around here every day but I have rarely been around for the occasions when he has to do it all without me.  It was nice to be a fly on the wall to see him be a spectacular dad without my interference or guidance.  He was fun, gentle, patient and loving – all things that I know he is and can be – it was just so lovely to see.  Both girls are happy and in bed now and I feel lucky to have such a great partner in this journey in parenting.  Thanks for a super day M.  Who knew that an upset tummy could make for such a great time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s